Sharing the Road with Cyclists
There are over 47 million cyclists in the United States. Unfortunately, accidents involving automobiles and cyclists have become all too common. In 2020 alone, there were more than 5,900 accidents involving cars and bicycles that resulted in fatalities or serious injuries. 
And the roads are only getting more crowded.
As a driver, it is important to ensure the safety of not only yourself and your passengers, but that of other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. To improve the safety of everyone, consider these helpful tips for sharing the road with cyclists:
- Give cyclists plenty of space - When passing a cyclist, leave at least 3 feet between your vehicle and the cyclist. This is a law in most states.
- Always check before turning - Cyclists can be difficult to see, especially in blind spots or at night. Always check twice in the direction of travel before turning.
- Be patient - Cyclists may not be able to travel at the same speed as a vehicle, so give them time and space to safely navigate the road.
- Be aware of bike lanes - If there is a designated bike lane, be sure to avoid driving or parking in it.
- Use your signals - Just as you would when driving near other cars, use your signals to let cyclists know when you're turning or changing lanes.
- Be extra cautious in bad weather - Rain, snow, or ice can make the road more dangerous for cyclists, so take extra precautions during inclement weather.
If you're a cyclist yourself, it's important to have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage on your automobile policy. This coverage can help protect you financially if you're involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
To learn more about how to properly protect yourself in case of an accident, as a driver or as a cyclist, contact my office today.
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists (Copy)
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors