I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
Well, it’s official: we’re all getting older. We may have thought we were invincible in our youth, but the reality is that we’re all going to kick the bucket eventually.
With a life of hard work behind us, we typically assess how we stack up financially as we enter our golden years. A full retirement account and a paid-up mortgage are positive signs of good money management.
However, there are several reasons to consider keeping or purchasing life insurance after the age of 60, including:
1. Final Expenses: One of the main reasons to purchase life insurance is to pay for final expenses, such as funeral and burial costs. Even if someone has saved enough money to cover these expenses, life insurance can provide a way to pay for them without using savings or assets that might be needed for other purposes.
2. Paying off Debts: Life insurance can be used to pay off outstanding debts, such as business loans or credit card balances, providing peace of mind for the policyholder and their loved ones.
3. Leaving a Legacy: Life insurance can also be considered part of an inheritance, for those who wish to leave a financial legacy to loved ones, charity, etc.
4. Supplementing Retirement Income: As people age, they may need to supplement their retirement income to maintain their desired lifestyle. Life insurance can provide a source of income for a surviving spouse or other family members.
5. Long-term Care: Some life insurance policies have built-in long-term care benefits to provide coverage for care not covered by Medicare or Medicaid. This can be especially important for older adults concerned about long-term care’s high costs.
It’s worth noting that buying life insurance at a later stage in life, especially over 60, can be more expensive than purchasing a policy at a younger age. But some options are specifically tailored for seniors, known as guaranteed issue or final expense policies.
It’s important to consult with a licensed insurance professional to help you understand the options available to you. They can help you find the best policy suited to your needs and budget.
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors